Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Monterey Chicken Casserole

I have been having a Mexican food craving and Saturday I decided to finally do something about it. I have an Ortega Simple Meals recipe book full of them and loved this casserole. I did take out the green chiles, though, because I don't like them, but I added diced tomatoes. Yummy! And Jarom liked it quite a bit, too.
This recipe was the grand prize winning recipe in Ortega's "Create a Fiesta, Win a Siesta" contest and was submitted by Ginger Berryhill or Autin, Texas.

1 lb. (4 c.) cooked chicken breast meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bottle (16 oz.) Ortega Taco Sauce
2 cans (4 oz. each) Ortega Diced Green Chiles
1 c. frozen whole kernel corn (I used canned corn)
3/4 c. instant rice
1/2 c. water
1 can (2.25 oz.) sliced ripe olives
1 pkg. (12) Ortega Taco Shells, crumbled
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese (I used Monterrey-Jack)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine chicken, taco sauce, chiles, corn, rice, water and olives in a large bowl. Spoon into an ungreased 13x9 baking dish. Combine taco shells and cheese in medium bowl: sprinkle over chicken mixture (instead of mixing the two, I just layered them).
3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Top with green onions, tomato, sour cream and other desired garnishes.

8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment