Friday, February 18, 2011

Aunt Michelle's Homemade Clam Chowder

This recipe is my Aunt Michelle's recipe that she shared for the family cookbook I put together in 2001. I made it for the first time in Guam and it was a huge hit! I still make it for special occasions or when asked and it is still a huge hit with everyone as it was at our birthday party!

2 (6 oz.) cans minced clams
1 c. onion, chopped
3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 c. potatoes, diced (I tend to double the potatoes)
1 c. celery (when I double the potatoes, I take out the celery & Jarom doesn't care to have celery in his chowder)
3/4 c. butter or margarine
1 qt. half & half
1 tsp. pepper

1. Drain clams, pouring juice over vegetables in a saucepan. Add enough water just to cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
2. While vegetables are simmering, in a large pot melt butter. Add flour and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add half & half, mixing as you go, until smooth. Stir constantly until it thickens. Do NOT boil!
3. Stir vegetable mixture into half & half mixtures. Add clams and seasoning. (At this point, I low it to cook on low for about 10-15 minutes to get all the flavors combined more and then serve.)
4. Serve with oyster crackers or in sourdough bowls, optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment