Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Double Boiler Method

How many of you have scorched chocolate drying to melt it for candy making, dipping, coating, etc.? Well, chances are you have-more than once, especially if you have tried to do such a task with the microwave.

Well, for years now, my mom and I have made our Peanut Butter Balls and it calls for them to be dipped in chocolate. One of my truffle recipes calls for me to do the same thing. And for years now, I have melted my chocolate in a double boiler or makeshift, creative double boiler. My mom has used this method for forever. I have heard countless tales of one friend or another burning their chocolate and shared this method with them and since it is the holidays again already, I thought I'd take the time to share it here.

Until recently when I acquired an actual double boiler, I just used my fondue pot set atop a little bit larger saucepan or two saucepans. A double boiler really is two saucepans that fin neatly together with the top saucepan having a lip around it to hold it above the bottom saucepan. I have pictures to share here of my double boiler and how it works.


This picture shows both of my saucepans that make up the double boiler.


To get started fill the bottom saucepan with about 1/8-inch full of water. This will warm up on the burner and create steam between the two pans and melt the chocolate.


Place the second pan (fondue pot) on top of the pan with water. Empty chocolate chips or coarsely chopped chocolate in top pan. Place both pans (double boiler) on stove over low heat. It won't take long for it to heat up, create steam and start melting your chocolate, so don't leave it.

To evenly distribute the heat and melt the chocolate, constantly stir until all melted and smooth. Now it is ready for dipping, spreading, candy molds, etc.

ENJOY! And HAVE FUN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment