Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mom's Tex-Mex Snack Mix

I love this snack mix and my mom makes it every year at Christmas time. I don't think it is actually her recipe, I believe she got it out of a magazine or something at one point but it was many years ago; most likely a Chex recipe. Many of you have probably had it, too, but I thought I'd share it anyway. There is another one I really like-Muddy Buddies with chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar but I'll have to share that one another time.



1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 pkt. Taco Seasoning (Mom prefers Taco Bell brand)
4 c. cheese crackers (Cheez-It, Goldfish or any other you like)
4 c. corn Chex cereal (or something similar)
2 1/2 c. peanuts (I prefer mine to be unsalted, but it is a matter of taste)
2 c. mini pretzels
2 cans French Fried Onions (I used two of the small cans)

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Melt butter and mix in taco seasoning; set aside.
2. Combine crackers, cereal, peanuts, pretzels and onions in large bowl and carefully mix.
3. Pour butter seasoning all over the snack mix and mix through until all is coated.
4. Pour snack mix into large baking dish and bake for one hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow to cool and serve. Store leftovers in airtight container.

NOTE: I don't have a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients or a baking dish large enough to bake it all in, so I divide everything in half. The butter and season are mixed in two small bowls, the snack mix in two large mixing bowls and then they are baked in two 13x9-inch baking/casserole dishes. I can bake both dishes at the same time, side-by-side in my oven so it still only takes an hour.

UPDATE 2/1/10: I have been playing in the kitchen with flavors for this snack mix trying to make it more bold. I think I have it just about perfect! Since I divide my season into two bowls, to make the taste more bold to each bowl, I added 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp. mild taco sauce and 1 tsp. garlic powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment