Friday, January 22, 2010

Stuffed Flank Steak

I made this new recipe this evening and I did like it but I felt that the red pepper over-powered the rest of the ingredients and flavors; I even used less red pepper. Instead of a whole red bell pepper I only used a third. All I could taste was steak and red pepper. I was hoping for a more cohesive dish where I would taste a pop of all the other ingredients and flavors-stuffing, garlic, onion, mushroom, etc. I found this recipe in my mom's recipe collection over the holidays, but the original recipe was submitted by BarbiAnn to Safeway.com.

2 c. dry stuffing mix (1 box Stove Top)
1 c. boiling water
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
1 1/2 lb. flank steak, pounded thin for easy rolling
2 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped (I only used 1/3 of the pepper)
1 (10.5 oz.) can mushroom gravy (I used a packet of dry mushroom gravy mix and made it according to the instructions for making and added the recipe ingredients)
1/4 c. red wine or apple juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. Parmesan cheese, grated

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine stuffing, water and butter. Mix well and let stand 5 minutes. Spoon stuffing onto steak, leaving a 1-inch border. Add green onion and red bell pepper (I actually mixed them into the stuffing to get a more even mix).
3. Roll from long edge of steak and secure with wooden toothpicks. Place steaks seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish.
4. In a separate bowl, combine gravy, wine or apple juice, garlic and cheese. Mix well and pour over the steak.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, remove from oven and let stand before slicing.

4 servings

NOTES: Instead of one flank steak, I had a package of three smaller flank steaks. We found the dish to be very filling. Each steak was cut in half and then each half into 4 slices. Half of one of these stuffed steaks was quite enough for each of us, so ultimately we got 6 servings out it, plus about 1/3 of the stuffing left over that didn't fit into the steaks. Because we used smalled steaks, I think the baking time should have been less; they seemed to be a little over-cooked and not quite as tender as I would have liked-the disadvantage of using small steaks instead of one large one. Overall, it was a good recipe but not a favorite.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: 496 calories, 29.4g fat, 71mg cholesterol, 1129mg sodium, 28.8g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 25.8g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment