Sunday, December 19, 2010

Homemade Caramels

I've always wanted to make caramels, but just never have. I think I always thought it just took a long time to cook the mixture and was afraid I'd burn it somehow. Homemade caramel is really easy to make. I found this particular recipe in my Mormon Handicraft recipe binder. They are really soft caramels and just so good.



1 1/3 c. Light Karo Syrup
1/2 lb. (2 Sticks) butter
1 pt. heavy cream
2 c. sugar

Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan on high heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Stir occasionally for 7 minutes. Turn heat down to medium heat and cook to soft ball stage (soft ball stage-drop a small mount in cold water and it should be soft but hold together.) Remove from heat. Pour into a buttered 9x11 pan. Cool in fridge for two hours. Cut and wrap in waxed paper.

OPTION:
Add 4 squares of Baker's chocolate as you put it on to cook. Add 1 tsp. vanilla extract when you take it off the heat, to make chocolate caramel. (I haven't made this version but I'm sure it is just as good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment