Monday, June 20, 2011

Betty Crocker's Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is a childhood favorite and the first recipe I ever made. They were always a hit with family and friends and as I've grown up and my tastes have changed I've added to the recipe and made one little change-instead of vanilla extract, I use French Vanilla Extract. The French Vanilla just gives them a little something different, something extra. Give it a try and see how you like it!

1 c. butter, soft but not melted
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. French Vanilla Extract
1 pkg. (12 oz.) chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix butter, sugars and egg together in a large bowl; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, mixing thoroughly.
3. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden.

3 dozen cookies

NOTE: I'm asked all the time how I get my cookies fluffy-soft-a little crispy on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle and not flat like lumpy tortillas. The key is all in the butter or margarine you use. When it says soft or softened, you don't want to melt it. It's best to take it out of the fridge for 30 minutes or so and just let get to about room temperature or close to it. If you are stretched for time, just put the cube in the microwave for about 15 seconds. A little bit of melting is okay, but you don't want most of it or all of it melted. The other things is after your dough is all done, walk about from it and let it rest 5-10 minutes. If I don't let my dough rest, they are flat, lumpy pancake cookies and the my second batch is always perfect, because that batch was allowed to sit and rest before going on the cookie sheet and into the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment