Monday, June 20, 2011

Slow-Cooked Salsa Chicken Tacos

This fantastic recipe is from Sheryl Crowe's cookbook "If It Makes You Healthy". I love tacos and they are so quick and easy to make, but they can get boring sometimes, so I'm always looking for new ways to make them. The recipe calls for cooking it in a large saucepan for 2 hours, but I just put everything in a crock pot for 6-8 hours-set it and forget it.

1 1/2 c. chicken stock
1 (12 oz.) jar mild salsa
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I used 5 thawed flash frozen chicken breasts)

1. In a large saucepan, bring the stock and salsa to a simmer over medium heat. Add the chicken and simmer, covered, until the chicken is very tender, about 2 hours. (Or, do as I did and put it all in the crock pot and set it to cook 6-8 hours.)
2. Lift the chicken from the cooking liquid and let it cool for 30-40 minutes. Reserve cooking liquid. When the chicken is cool, shred meat.
3. Transfer shredded chicken to a bowl and drizzle the reserved liquid over top to keep it moist. (I put the chicken back int he crock pot and mixed all up and let it soak in all the goodness of the salsa and stock, then strain the chicken and salsa into a large serving bowl. I added some of the stock and salsa juices to the leftovers, however so they would stay moist.)
4. Fill the taco shells or tortilla with the chicken and garnish with the toppings of your choice.

Servings: 4
Servings (How I made them): 12 (two tacos per person)

No comments:

Post a Comment