Monday, January 10, 2011

Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake

Everyone who follows this blog and knows me well enough knows how much I love cinnamon-the taste, the smell, the color, etc. I made one of these from a boxed mix last week and I've really been wanting more but I really didn't want to make it from a box, but I also didn't really want to take the time and pull everything out to make one from scratch, wither. I was in a pickle!

After thinking a bit and knowing what I had in my cupboards, I pulled out a Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix I had, the cinnamon, flour, butter and brown sugar. I made the cake batter as directed on the box:

BATTER:
Cake mix
1 1/4 c. water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
3 eggs
STREUSEL:
1/2 c. flour
2/3 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. butter or margarine, cold, cubed

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9 pan with cooking spray.
2. Prepare batter, and pour half into the prepared pan. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives. Top first layer of batter with half of streusel.
4. Pour remaining batter over top layer of batter and streusel, moving the bowl of batter back and forth to get maximum coverage. Top with 1/2 of remaining streusel and use a knife to swirl batter and streusel, about 10-12 times. Top with last of streusel.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

NOTE:

I used a 8x8 baking pan and while it turned out great, the cake was really tall-almost like I was eating a huge piece of birthday or wedding cake. A 13x9 bake pan would work much better. The cake was moist and the cinnamon streusel was perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment