Monday, January 10, 2011

Stuffed Flank Steak-Revised

Last year I tried this recipe for the first time and I really enjoyed it, except that the red bell pepper seemed to overpower everything, so I made it again with less red bell pepper and I enjoyed it even more. But, it still didn't seem quite right to us, we both thought that the gravy should be thicker, so I made it once again last night for dinner and made the gravy a little different.

Here's the original recipe:
2 c. dry stuffing mix (1 box Stove Top)
1 c. boiling water
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
1 1/2 lb. flank steak, pounded thin for easy rolling
2 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped (I only used 1/3 of the pepper)
1 (10.5 oz.) can mushroom gravy (I used a packet of dry mushroom gravy mix and made it according to the instructions for making and added the recipe ingredients)
1/4 c. red wine or apple juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. Parmesan cheese, grated

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine stuffing, water and butter. Mix well and let stand 5 minutes. Spoon stuffing onto steak, leaving a 1-inch border. Add green onion and red bell pepper (I actually mixed them into the stuffing to get a more even mix).
3. Roll from long edge of steak and secure with wooden toothpicks. Place steaks seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish.
4. In a separate bowl, combine gravy, wine or apple juice, garlic and cheese. Mix well and pour over the steak.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, remove from oven and let stand before slicing.

I basically made it the same but to make the gravy this time I used one can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup and mixed in half a can of 1% milk, and mixed in the garlic and Parmesan cheese as usual. I still stuffed the steak as it says and rolled it up and fastened them together with toothpicks. I baked it the same but used the revised gravy, I made. We really enjoyed it this time and I think it is now perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment