Monday, January 3, 2011

Whole Wheat Egg Noodles

A family tradition when we are all together is to make homemade egg noodles and put them in chicken soup. We also tend to make them with leftover turkey meat from the holidays. I made two batches this time around, because I wanted to be able to give our neighbors a pot of their own. Leanne wanted me to make it healthier and I it really isn't that unhealthy-chicken/turkey meat, chicken broth and noodles. The only thing I could think of to make it healthier was to make whole wheat egg noodles, so that is exactly what I did. I had both whole wheat and regular flour, I think the whole wheat alone would be too heavy. Here's the recipe for my whole wheat egg noodles. The noodles are brown, so don't be alarmed.

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. butter, soft
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1. Mix all ingredient together until mixed and ball forms.
2. Take dough out of mixing bowl and knead on floured surface for about 3 minutes. Set aside and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
3. Split dough in half and roll out on floured surface to about 1/8-inch thickness. Roll up jelly roll style and slice into 1/4-inch. Unroll pasta and lay flat to dry for about an hour. Slice each long pasta strand into 2-inch pieces and allow to dry an additional 2 hours.
4. Add to meat and broth combo cooking at a rolling boil, a handful at a time. Stir after each addition to be sure noodles don't stick together. Once all are noodles are in soup, cook an additional 30 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment