Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Southwest White Chicken Chili

I made this for dinner this evening. The recipe came out of my People magazine on an advertisement for Campbell's soup. I enjoyed it. It wasn't real spicy at all, and for me that is a good thing. You could easily add more spice if you like yours hot, but my gastrointestinal system can't take that kind of heat, so it was just right for us. However, I did add about an extra tsp. of chili powder, plus I minced three garlic cloves into it and added some black pepper. I didn't have a green pepper, although I'm sure it would have been just as wonderful with it. And since I didn't have the pepper I added an extra can of beans, but it was red kidney beans to add more color to the dish. I cooked my chicken in the microwave rather than in the pot with oil, one because it was easier that why while I cut up the onion, rinsed the beans and minced the garlic and two because it just makes it a little more healthy.

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes
4 tsp. chili powder (I used 5 tsp.)
2 tsp. ground cumin (I didn't have any so I used three garlic cloves, mined and some black pepper)
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
3/4 c. water
1 1/2 c. frozen whole kernel corn (I used canned corn)
2 cans (15 oz. each) white kidney beans (also known as cannellini), rinsed & drained
2 tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans (my addition)

1. Heat oil in 4 qt.saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, onion and pepper and cook until chicken is cooked through and vegetable are tender, stirring often.
2. Stir soup, water, corn and beans into saucepan and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cheese.

6 servings.

NOTE: Since I cooked my chicken in the microwave, after I had it all cubed and the vegetables chopped and minced, I put everything in a big saucepan, mixed it up and cooked in over medium-high for about 20 minutes. Then, I turned the heat down to medium and allowed it to cook an additional 10-15 minutes while I shredded the cheese. I turned off the burner and removed the saucepan and ladled into bowls and topped each one with about 2 tbsp. of cheese each. We like cheese. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment