Monday, April 4, 2011

Memphis Dry Ribs

I pulled some boneless pork ribs out of the freezer last week and I was just going to season them like normal with some herbs and spices, when I noticed there was a recipe on the package under a pull-tab, so I pulled it and I liked what I read, so I decided to give it a try. They were very good-not too spicy. Of course, I didn't have everything on hand, so I had to make a few substitutions and although we cooked them on the grill, I didn't have the hickory wood chips or a charcoal grill. They probably would have had more of a smoke flavor that way, but I did what I could with what I had.

4 lbs. pork loin back ribs or meaty spareribs (I used boneless pork ribs)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. onion powder (I used garlic powder)
1 1/2 tsp. celery salt (I used season salt)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
3 c. wood chips-hickory or oak chips for best flavor

1. Cut ribs into four portions (my boneless ribs were already cut into single portions-this allowed me to get a coating on all four sides of each rib). Place ribs in shallow dish.
2. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, celery salt, cumin and pepper; rub evenly over meaty side of ribs (in my case all four sides). Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in fridge 4-24 hours.
3. One hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
4. In charcoal grill with a cover, place preheated coals around a drip pan for medium indirect heat. Add 1/2-inch hot water to drip pan. Sprinkle half of drained wood chips over coals. Place ribs, bone side down, on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 1 1/2-2 hours or until ribs are tender. (We don't have a coal grill, so we grilled them on our gas grill and cooked them for 5-10 minutes on two sides).

4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment