Monday, August 3, 2009

Greek Pahtahtes Meh Kohlohkee

For my 30th birthday, back in January and Jarom's 31st, we went down to Watsonville to visit family and celebrate our birthdays. My aunt made homemade Greek food and the only Greek food Jarom and I have ever had was a gyros at the mall. This is a vegetable dish she made, and it is quite yummy; and I'm not a big fan of zucchini or tomatoes. However as I get older, my tastebuds are changing and I love the zucchini and tomatoes in this dish with the potato.



4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise (I sliced width wise)
2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
2 medium onion, thinly sliced (I only use half an onion)
1 can (14 oz.) chopped tomatoes (I prefer to use fresh tomatoes and chop them)
1/4 c. fresh dill, minced
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 c. crumbled feta cheese

1. In a small bowl, mix together dill, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Lightly oil 2 qt. casserole dish. Place a layer of half the potatoes, zucchini, onion and tomato (in that order) in dish; sprinkle dill mixture over top of vegetables. The repeat with a second layer of vegetables followed by dill mixture.
3. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Sprinkle with feta cheese and bake an additional 15-20 minutes uncovered. Feta cheese will not melk but it will soften.
4. Remove from oven, cover and let rest 15 minutes.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note: I added a little shredded mozzarella to the top along with the feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment