Monday, August 3, 2009

Individula Baked Alaskas

I have always wanted to try this dessert, but until last night never had, thus it was the first time I made it. It was even my first time ever making meringue, and although they don't exactly look pretty, they were so yummy. I think I need to invest in a cake/frosting spatula.



1 (8 oz.) can pineapple
2 c. raspberry sherbet
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp, cream of tartar
2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla

1. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Place pineapple slices on sheet and freeze until firm.
2. Once the pineapple is frozen, top each with a nice rounded scoop of sherbet and return to the freezer. Freeze until the sherbet is firm. (I scooped the sherbet on top of the pineapple just before we sat down to dinner that way by the time we had eaten and cleaned up dinner, I could start the meringue and once it was done it was ready to go on the dessert).



3.Beat egg and cream of tartar until foamy.
4. Gradually add sugar, 1 tbsp. at a time and continuously beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in vanilla (I just added it once all the sugar was beat in and it turned out just fine).
5. Spread meringue over frozen sherbet and pineapple, making sure to seal edges. Cover loosely and refreeze. (I did not cover mine. It was in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to set up).
6. Remove from freezer and broil in oven six inches from heat-about 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Serve immediately.



Makes 4 servings

NOTE: I had a large can of pineapple rings so I made triple the amount and therefore had to triple the ingredients for the meringue.

No comments:

Post a Comment