Sunday, August 30, 2009

Taco Soup

I love taco soup! There are many versions and each one I've made has been equally as yummy as the last. This particular recipe is from Kraft Food & Family and very mild. Our family can't handle really spicy foods, so if your family is the same way this mild version will be perfect. Although light on fire it is packed with flavor.



1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
3 cans (15.5 oz. ea.) mild chili beans, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz.) corn, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 pkt. Taco seasoning
1 1/2 c. water
Juice of two limes (my addition)
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I use Kraft's Mexican Blend)
Fresh cilantro, sour cream and tortilla chips, optional toppings and/or sides

1. Brown beef with chopped onion in large saucepan, drain.
2. Add remaining ingredients except cheese; stir. Bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I like to throw everything in the crock pot and allow it to cook on high for about 3 hours. I also added some fresh tomatoes that I had in the fridge that needed to be used or they would spoil. There's nothing better than fresh veggies in soup if you have them.)
3. Serve topped with cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro, if you so choose; along with a side of tortilla chips.

12-1 cup servings

NOTE: I didn't have three cans of chili beans, only two, so I added a can of red kidney beans. If you do this, be sure to drain and rinse the kidney beans before adding them to the rest of the ingredients in the pot. Using my fresh tomatoes, I cored them and then diced them and added them with everything else. I think, the more fresh ingredient you have to use, the better, but you may have to adjust the cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment