Sunday, February 21, 2010

Snickerdoodles

This yummy cinnamon-sugar cookie is one of my favorites. They are soft and I LOVE cinnamon! I have use the same recipe for many years. It come from my very first cookbook that my Mom and Dad bought me when I was in elementary school at one of the book fairs. The book is the "The Cookie Book" by Eva Moore and it features a different cookie recipe for each month.

1/2 c. butter or soft shortening
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar

1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg and mix all together.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar. Add half of the sifted flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until all mixed. Add second half of flour mixture and stir well until well combined. Cover dough and and refrigerate for one hour.
3. About 5 minutes before the dough is ready to come out of the fridge, preheat the oven to 400 degrees (I actually bake mine at 350-they come out a bit softer). Also, during this time, mix together the tablespoon each of sugar and cinnamon.
4. Take the dough out of the fridge and break the dough off and roll into balls about 1-inch each. Roll the dough ball in sugar until cover and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes until edges are slightly browned. Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely on wire rack.

Makes: 2 dozen cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment