Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chicken Basil Calzone

I found this recipe over the Christmas holidays in my Mom's recipes and thought it sounded really good. It was even better when I realized it came from the December 2008issue of Cooking Light. I really love pizza but it is so greasy and bad for you, so whenever I can find a healthier recipe I am more than willing to try it out. This one is good, but it is not my favorite. I didn't find them as easy to make as it reads, either. While, I made two with chicken, basil and garlic, I also made two with some fresh sliced mushrooms for my Jarom. I did not used any crushed red pepper for any of them.

2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. ground chicken breast
3/4 c. prepared pizza sauce
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
1 (13.8 oz.) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
1/2 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray; add garlic and chicken to pan; saute 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring to crumble. Stir in pizza sauce and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in basil. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; cut dough into fourths. Pat each section into an 8x6-inch rectangle. Divide chicken mixture evenly among rectangles; top each with 2 tbsp. cheese. Working with one rectangle at a time, fold dough in half over filling, pinching edges to seal. Repeat procedure with remaining rectangles.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

4 servings

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: 459 calories, 7.1g fat, 1.8g saturated fat, 39.1g protein, 56.4g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 74mg cholesterol, 3.7mg iron, 919mg sodium, 111mg calcium.

No comments:

Post a Comment