Monday, November 16, 2009

Classic Potatoes Au Gratin

This recipe comes straight out of my November issue of Diabetes Forecast (pg 64). I tried once before when I was first married to make a version of these type of potatoes and they turned out horribly, so I decided to give them another shot. While I did really enjoy these potatoes fresh out of the oven, I did not enjoy them as much the next day as leftovers. I was really bummed, so my search is still on for that perfect Potatoes Au Gratin recipe. In the meantime, this one will do fine, I'll just have to be sure to make a smaller portion so I'm not stuck with the leftovers.

SAUCE:
1 1/2 tbsp. non-hydrogenated butter-type tub spread (such as Smart Balance)
1 1/2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 2/3 c. 1% milk
1 1/2 c. shredded 75% reduced-fat cheddar cheese (such as extra sharp)

6 medium russet potatoes (about 6 oz. each), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To prepare the cheese sauce: melt the buttery spread in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in the flour, salt and pepper and stir constantly with a wire whisk for 1 minute. Stir in milk, and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in all the cheese, and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Place half of the potato slices in a 9x13-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Pour in half the cheese sauce. Add remaining potatoes in a layer, and pour in the remaining cheese sauce.
3. Cover the dish with foil, and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender. Remove the foil, and broil the top of the casserole for 1-2 minutes if desired.

12 Servings; serving = 1/3 cup

NUTRITION INFO: (per serving)
115 calories, 3g fat, 1.3g Sat. fat, 0g Tran. fat, 5mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium,
16g total carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 2g sugar, 7g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment