Friday, November 20, 2009

Yummy Mummy Calzones

This recipe, too, comes from my Taste of Home Halloween cookbook. However, I did see it featured on an Emeril Halloween special just before Halloween and Rachel Ray showed how to make them. I don't know where the recipe originated, but I found it in my Taste of Home Halloween cookbook before I saw Rachel make it, and I've had this cookbook for about 6 years. I remember how to do it without the recipe. The amounts may not be exact to the recipe but it is what I used. I made two mummy calzones-a turkey pepperoni (tastes just like regular pepperoni) and a veggie. I put the amounts of what I used for each in this recipe.

Yummy Mummy Calzone Picture: the big breasted, tall mummy calzone is the turkey pepperoni one and the short, fat mummy calzone is the veggie. Can you tell I made the long, big breasted one first?


Turkey Pepperoni Mummy Calzone:
1 loaf frozen bread, uncooked & thawed
1 pkg. Hormel Turkey Pepperoni (use as little or as much as you wish)
1/4 c. pizza sauce
1 slice of black olive, cut in half (for eyes)
1-2 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese (again, use as much or as little as you wish)
NOTE: (If you wish, you could add sausage, hamburger, olives, onions, peppers, etc., whatever you want in you mummy calzone.)
1 egg, lightly beaten

Veggie Lover's Mummy Calzone:
1 loaf frozen bread, uncooked & thawed
1/2 Green pepper, seeded & sliced
1/2 Yellow pepper, seeded & sliced
1/4 c. Sliced Black Olives + 1 cut in half (for eyes)
1/2 Red Onion, small, sliced & slices cut in half
4-5 Mushrooms, fresh, washed & sliced
1/4 c. pizza sauce
1-2 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten

1. Roll out each piece of dough into a rounded triangle shape, about 14-in. high x 11-in. wide at the base of the triangle. Place each on a parchment-lined baking sheet with the tip of the triangle toward you. Lightly score 4-in.-wide rectangle in the center of the triangle 2 in. from the top and bottom (I didn't do this scoring part, I just eyed it).
2. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips at an angle up to the score line, leaving a triangle in the top center of the wide end for the head.
3. Inside the scored rectangle in the center, spread pizza sauce, sprinkle on cheese and place pepperoni. Shape the top center triangle into a head. Starting at the head, fold alternating strips of dough at an angle across filling stopping at the last strip on each side. As you bring the last two strips crossing over the pizza filling, press them firmly together at bottom to form a seal.
4. Brush dough with beaten egg. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes. For eyes, press 1olive slice into each head. Discard or save the remaining slices for another use.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

Serves: 8-10, but I think I squeezed about 12 out of mine, because one was so long and the other was so thick. I could cut the thick one into about 3/4-inch thick pieces and the long one was just long and allowed me to get more slices out of it.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (from the Taste of Home website at: www.tasteofhome.com): 1 slice equals 358 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 831 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein. (This information is accurate to the exact Taste of Home recipe, however it varies with toppings, so this information is not correct for my variation of the Yummy Mummy Calzones. For the original recipes go to:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Yummy-Mummy-Calzones?cpi=1&sort=

NOTE: This was a HUGE hit at the Halloween party my Uncle Dustin and Aunt Tracy threw, along with my Uncle Paylor and Aunt Teresa, cousin Coley and her boyfriend, Victor. Once I cut them into slices, they were gone in a matter of minutes. Next time, I'm making more than just two. Give them a try and make them for your next Halloween or theme party! Not only were they a hit and indeed "Yummy" but they were fun to make too!

No comments:

Post a Comment