Thursday, November 19, 2009

Taffy Apple Salad

I first found this recipe in my Taste of Home Halloween cookbook submitted by someone from Oregon, but I have misplaced that cookbook so I had to find the correct recipe online. I found more than a few variations but I found the right one at: http://kidscooking.about.com/od/soupsandsalads/r/taffy_apple_sal.htm. There is two minor differences: (1) this recipe calls for pineapple chunks, mine called for crushed-so it is just a matter of taste and preference; (2) this one calls for 2 tsp. vinegar while mine called for 1 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar-again it is a matter of taste and preference. I am posting the recipe how I did it. It is a delicious salad and tastes very much like a candy apple.



20 oz. pineapple, crushed (reserve juice)
2 c. mini marshmallows
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. flour
4 c. apples, chopped (about 4 medium apples-I used 2 Granny Smith & 2 Red Delicious)
1 1/2 c. peanuts, lightly salted OR spanish style
8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed

1. Mix together pineapple and marshmallows together and chill for several hours (I would say at least 3 hours).
2. In a saucepan, mix together pineapple juice, sugar, cider vinegar, beaten egg and flour. Heat over medium-high heat until thick, stirring constantly. Allow to cool 30 minutes and refrigerate overnight.
3. Mix sauce mixture with Cool Whip. Add apples to marshmallow/pineapple mixture, mixing well. Add sauce/Cool Whip mixture blend. Stir in peanuts. Refrigerate several hours.

NOTE: I started this salad at night before Halloween and allowed the pineapple and marshmallows to chill while we went to have dinner and carve pumpkins. When we returned around 11pm that night, I did the sauce mixture and let it cool over night until I got up at 8am. That is when I got up and chopped the apples, mixed the Cool Whip into the sauce and began blending it all together. It refrigerated from about 9am to noon when we took it to my aunt's house and it chilled for another 6 1/2 hours until the party. HOWEVER, I have read that it has been know to be done in just a few short hours, as long as it has a couple hours to chill after all is mixed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment