Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Peach Cobbler

While I was in Watsonville this weekend visiting family, I got some peaches that were given to my cousin, along with some different kinds of squash. The peaches were starting to go bad so I had to do something quick with them. I asked Jarom what he preferred and he said peach cobbler. Well, having never made one I had to look up a recipe. I found an easy recipe from the Food Network's Down Home With The Neely's.



Before I get to their recipe, I had to peel and pit the peaches. This was the first time I did this other than just cutting the skins off. To easily peel off the skins, cut an "X" into the bottom of each peach. Then, bring a pot of water to boil and then turn off the heat. Add the peaches for about 40 seconds and then remove from water and immerse into another bowl filled with ice water. Allow them to sit in the water for 1 minutes, remove and pat dry. Now you are ready to start peeling off those skins. To easily remove the pits, slice the peach all the way around and pull apart, pull out pit and slice peaches as desired.

PEACH COBBLER (courtesy of the Neelys)

Filling:
10 ripe peaches, pealed, pitted, and cut up (I cut them into 1-inch chunks)
3 tbsp. almond liqueur (I did not use this)
1 tbsp. nutmeg
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
3 tbsp. corn starch
2 tbsp. cinnamon (I added this ingredient, because I love cinnamon)

Biscuit Dough

2 c. flour
1/4 c, granulated sugar, plus 1 1/2 tbsp. for top (I used this but added cinnamon as well)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp, baking powder
1 stick butter, cubed and chilled
3/4 c, buttermilk
1 egg white

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine peaches with remaining "filling" ingredients. Mix together and pour into a 13x9 inch baking dish. (I sprayed mine with Pam before hand too.)
3. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl and mix. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry cutter until dough resembles sand. Slowly add buttermilk until dough comes together. You may not need all of the butter milk.
4. Place dough on floured surface and knead it into 13x9 inch rectangle about 1/2-inch thick and place over peach filling. Use egg white as a wash, brushing it on top of dough. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tbsp sugar on top (or cinnamon sugar combo, that I used).
5. Cook cobbler until the top is golden brown, about 40 minutes.

8 Servings


Recipe courtesy of the Neelys from Down Home With The Neelys on the Food Network at: www.foodnetwork.com.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was very good, but I think next time I will add some more peaches.

    ReplyDelete