Monday, July 13, 2009

Sweet Jammies

I came across this by default when I was looking for a cornbread recipe to go with my Chili Rice dinner and decided to make them and give them a try. It will be a nice breakfast with a sweet touch. I made two batches and used apricot and strawberry preserves. I found the recipe in the Country Baker Breads & Muffins book by Country Living on page 77.

Sweet Jammies-Apricot


2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. plain (or, I used vanilla yogurt and like just as well)
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
About 1/4 c. jam or preserves
sugar or powdered sugar, optional

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease twelve 2 1/2 inch muffin pan cups.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, milk and butter, stir well. Stir in egg and vanilla.
3. Stir the yogurt mixture into flour mixture just until mixture is moistened.
4. Divide half of the batter among prepared muffin cups. Place 1 tsp. jam or preserves on top of batter in cups. Top each with remaing batter and sprinkle sugar on top (sugar optional).
5. Bake muffins 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden and the centers spring back when lightly pressed with finger. Collt he muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from cups. Sprinkle tops with powdered sugar and serve.

Makes 1 dozen muffins

Sweet Jammies-Strawberry

2 comments:

  1. Weird. I posted a comment on this yesterday, but I don't see it now. So I'll try again! I made these with our breakfast yesterday and really enjoyed them. They were light and sweet and simple to make. I used our homemade apricot jam in them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked them Holli. We really enjoyed them and they had just enough sweet.

    ReplyDelete